The holidays are here at last! This is a wonderful time for writers to reflect on the past year and look ahead to the joys of new projects in the upcoming year. It can also be a time for gathering new supplies (hopefully we’ll find those much-needed pens and notebooks under the tree), reading our favorite holiday novels, and finding writing inspiration in the magic of the holidays. To that end, Our Writing Garden wanted to post a few ideas for holiday writing inspiration. We hope these prompts help with your current works-in-process and your future projects as well! Happy Holidays!
- What are your main character’s favorite holiday treats to eat or bake?
- What are three holiday presents that your main character might receive?
- Describe the holiday decorations around your home
- Take a long walk in the snowfall and jot down your observations
- Journal about your holiday memories and emotions
- Analyze your favorite holiday books and stories — how is the plot structured?
- What is your antagonist longing for this Christmas?
- Describe how you feel seeing the season’s first snowfall
- Is there a gift your protagonist knows they cannot receive?
- What holiday traditions do your characters enjoy?
- Are there any holiday traditions your characters would change?
As always, we’d love to see your answers in the comments!